What is polycystic ovaries and how do you know if you might have it?
For many overweight or obese woman, a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also called Stein Levinthal Syndrome, is an underlying issue that not only makes it harder to lose weight but also can affect many other things such as irregular or reduced menstrual cycles, excess hair growth, and fertility related to issues.
- Do you have excess belly weight?
- Do you have irregular or reduced menstrual cycles?
- Do you have some excess hair growth in the lower abdominal area, under the chin or other areas?
- Do you have any fertility related issues?
- Do you have trouble losing weight?
Do you know even if you have some of the above, you can be at risk of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
It is commonly not well diagnosed and even when it is diagnosed, the treatment was not very effective at most other places as they only offer you Metformin that can help just a little bit but without changing the underlying issue of insulin resistance and weight, it is not possible to change PCOS.
The good news is that at W8MD, our focus is to go to the root of the problem which is insulin resistance and address it from there.
How common is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in NYC?
It is estimated that polycystic ovarian syndrome affects about 8-10% of women of reproductive age. It is very common. However, the underlying issue called insulin resistance that is one of the major causes of PCOS affects up to 71% of the population which means many woman may have subtle signs of insulin resistance leading to subclinical polycystic ovaries that are not yet diagnosed.
The infertility rate with polycystic ovaries is very high. these women usually will have difficulty getting pregnant – and usually require treatment to improve chances for pregnancy.
What are the signs and symptoms of polycystic ovaries in New York City?
Polycystic ovaries can be clinical leading some symptoms and signs or subclinical meaning there are no overt symptoms or signs. When it is clinical, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms.
What are the risks associated with PCOS in NYC?
- Endometrial hyperplasia and endometrial cancer (cancer of the uterine lining) are possible, due to overaccumulation of uterine lining, and also lack of progesterone resulting in prolonged stimulation of uterine cells by estrogen.
- Insulin resistance/Type II diabetes. A review published in 2010 concluded that women with PCOS have an elevated prevalence of insulin resistance and type II diabetes, even when controlling for body mass index (BMI).
- Gestational diabetes. PCOS also makes a woman, particularly if obese, prone to gestational diabetes.
- High blood pressure, in particular if obese or during pregnancy.
- Depression and anxiety. The risk of depression and anxiety also increased with PCOS.
- Dyslipidemia – disorders of lipid metabolism — cholesterol and triglycerides. Women with PCOS show a decreased removal of atherosclerosis-inducing remnants, seemingly independent of insulin resistance/Type II diabetes.
- Cardiovascular disease, with a meta-analysis estimating a 2-fold risk of arterial disease for women with PCOS relative to women without PCOS, independent of BMI.
- Strokes, Weight gain, Miscarriage, Sleep apnea, particularly if obesity is present.
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, again particularly if obesity is present.
- Acanthosis nigricans (patches of darkened skin under the arms, in the groin area, on the back of the neck).
- Autoimmune thyroiditis.
- Infertility and difficulty losing weight are also commonly seen with PCOS
How can W8MD help with PCOS / polycystic ovaries in New York City?
Since the underlying issue that causes both the PCOS and weight gain is insulin resistance, at W8MD, our focus is to reverse this process using a comprehensive weight management program.
Lowering of insulin resistance levels Restoration of fertility Treatment of hirsutism or acne Restoration of regular menstruation, and prevention of endometrial hyperplasia and endometrial cancer In each of these areas, there is considerable debate as to the optimal treatment.
OUR NYC INSURANCCE WEIGHT LOSS, AND PCOS TREATMENT CENTER CAN NOT ONLY HELP YOU TO LOSE WEIGHT BUT ALSO TO POTENTIALLY CURE POLYCYSTIC OVARIES!
CALL W8MD TODAY AT 718 946 5500 TO LEARN MORE!