Diet and nutrition is one of the most discussed topics with over 20,000 books written on this topic and counting. Unfortunately, all this knowledge only lead to more confusion as most of these books are filled with half truths, misinformation or even frank false statements and inferences. Americans currently consume too much sodium and too many calories from solid fats, added sugars, and refined grains.
The traditional thinking of “eat less, exercise more” for weight loss also is useless as it over simplifies it offering no concrete evidence as the why we eat, what we eat, the role of metabolic factors, nutritional deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, genetic factors, sleep related factors etc.
If it is as simple as “calories in, calories out”, everybody who is dealing with obesity knows this and yet they are unable to shed the pounds just like that! It is because it is more complex than “calories in, calories out”. We need to start understanding what makes us hungry, what makes us crave for certain foods, what really makes us full and stop eating by understanding the underlying metabolic, and other factors.
Although being physically active can help to a small degree, just exercise alone has been studied as a tool for weight loss, and surprisingly, found to be useless as a tool for weight loss on it’s own. This is because exercise stimulates appetite thereby making you eat more and also builds muscle tissue which is heavier than fat! These two factors negate any weight loss through exercise by burning calories. Here are simple and easy to understand tips to lose weight, eat healthy and live well in New York City or other places.
1. Understand what is causing your weight gain in New York.
2. Check if you are insulin resistant as that can cause metabolic type upper body or belly fat gain.
4. Start regular physical activity in combination with VLCD diet for weight loss in New York City.
5. Increase nutrient-dense foods from naturally raised sources of food instead of unhealthy processed foods, and eliminate high glycemic foods.
6. Correct hormonal imbalances that can cause weight gain if there are any hormonal imbalances
7. Correct any underlying sleep disorders that may cause or worsen weight gain such as sleep apnea
8. Understand the source of inflammation such as the 3 things wrong with our diet from W8MD medical weight loss centers
9. Reduce daily sodium intake to less than 2,300 milligrams (mg) per day. If you have medical problems such as high blood pressure, reduce sodium further down to about 1,500 mg per day. Understand the DASH diet if you have a history of high blood pressure.
10. While being low fat in general is not as useful as low glycemic for weight loss, understand the different types of fats – there are good, healthy fats such as the poly-unsaturated fatty acids from sea food, olive oil, sun flower, and safflower oils, and also unhealthy saturated fats, or trans fats. Make sure you get no less than 10 percent of calories from saturated fatty acids. Instead of thee unhealthy fats, replace them with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Keep trans fatty acid low by eliminating hydrogenated oils, and by limiting other solid fats.
11. Eliminate or reduce all sweets, and other high glycemic foods of those that are made with added sugars. Reduce foods that contain refined grains, especially refined grain foods that contain solid fats, added sugars, and sodium.
12. Increase vegetable and fruit intake by eating a variety of vegetables, especially dark-green and red and orange vegetables and beans and peas.
13. Consume at least half of all grains as whole grain foods such as whole grain breads, brown or basmati rice. Eliminate or limit all white foods or refined foods such as white breads, bagels, cheerios, donuts etc.
14. Choose a variety of protein foods, which include seafood, lean meat and chicken/turkey or other poulty, eggs, beans and peas, soy products, and unsalted nuts and seeds. Increase the amount and variety of seafood consumed by choosing seafood in place of some meat and poultry.
15. Replace foods with high solid fats with choices that are lower in solid fats and calories and/or are sources of oils – for example, red meats are high in solid or saturated fat compared to white meats such as chicken or turkey, and sea food in general is lower in saturated fat. Also, if the animals are fed corn, (which most farm raised animals are including chicken), their saturated fat content can go up as high as 500 percent compared to naturally fed or raised animals such as pastured eggs, chickens or grass fed beef.
Check your metabolic risk and see if metabolic causes of weight gain such as slow metabolism or insulin resistance are causing your weight gain especially if you have tummy or belly fat!
If you are overweight or obese and would like to lose some weight, consider an insurance physician weight loss program such as the W8MD medical weight loss and wellness program available in New York City and other places.
- 8 free weight loss tips to lose weigth fast in New York or Philadelphia (freeweightlossdoctor.wordpress.com)
- Safe weight loss programs New York City & Philadelphia (phenterminetopiramate.wordpress.com)
- Mistakes to Avoid
- 3 things wrong with our diet
- Insulin Resistance
- 8 Amazing Weeks of Weight Loss
- Benefits of weight loss
- Why exercise alone does not help for weight loss?
- Low Fat or Low Carb Diet?
- 12 ways to lose weight quickly
- Nutrition and physical degeneration by Weston Price